Claris Engage 2025 - March 25-26 Austin Texas ×

Upgrading from FM 4 to FM 6

Catchesides

This topic is 7959 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I'm facing the prospect of upgrading a collection of around 300 FM 4 databases to FM 6 in the near future. These files are workgroup databases and feature various relationships, Applescripts and ODBC links.

Has anyone had any experience of upgrading a large, FM dependent business from FM 4 to FM 6? Are there any issues that I should be aware of? I've heard tell of ODBC links breaking, but not from any reliable source.

Any and all responses gratefully received.

Cheers,

Tom

I've only heard of one or two situations where there were conversion problems. This was second hand information though, so I don't know what the specific problems were.

Since you can download a full working demo of FM6, why not convert the files and try it in single user mode. If it works that way, you can decide then how you want to proceed.

• 2 weeks later...

The upgrade/conversion does not seem to pose a problem, as I have successfully converted 21 FM files from FM SDK 3.0 to FM 6.

I significant point to remember is when asked to rename the old file, I suggest either saving it at that time to a new location, or saving the new converted file to a new location.

Either way, you will have an old (renamed) copy and the new converted file.

For best results, I recommend utilizing FM 6 Developer, as you can use the database tool to rename files, extensions, update links, etc.

This topic is 7959 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.