Scripts for importing data?

This topic is 7934 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello Forum,

I have literally just started to attempt, using the script maker. I have two questions. 1) When I import a file manually I select "matching names" in the import fields dialogue box, how do I script " select matching" names before importing? I can't seem to find a script command that would allow me to do this.

2) Has anyone ever written a script that allows you to print certain addresses on a specific avery label which is set up on sheets of thirty labels? I need to communicate to filemaker that I have thirty labels on a sheet and once an address is printed on let us say label 1 that it cannot print again in that spot until I put in a new sheet. I need to be able to print only on the labels that haven't been used. I don't want a whole page of a repeated individual customer's address. Doe anyone have any pointers?

Thank you, Esterphanie

1. Filemaker's Import script step will memorize whichever way you have most recently imported (be sure to click "Restore" ON, in the script step option). Set up your script, close Scriptmaker, then do your import manually the way you like it, with matching names, omitting some fields, however you want the script to work. Then open the script in Scriptmaker again, and immediately close it. You will get a dialog box asking you if you wish to keep the import order or replace (ignore the other options for now). Click "replace". Your script has now memorized the exact way you want to import, and will continue to do so. If you ever need to modify the import, repeat the process. Do it manually, open and close the script, and click "replace."

2. There are various ways of doing this. I have a little label printer database set up for this with a rectangular array of buttons (3 columns of ten buttons each). You click the button positioned where your next available label is on a sheet and it makes blank records to fill in the spaces for already used labels. The next record typed by the user will go on the next unused label.

If you are printing out of a database that already contains addresses, it's a bit trickier. You have to Find the addresses you need, create a blank record for each used label space, sort on some field that is always full (so the blanks sort to the top), print, then Find ande delete all those blank records. This process can be easily scripted.

Steve Brown

This topic is 7934 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.