Slow Form Redraw

This topic is 7893 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a form which displays a lot of Client information. It contains approx 15 fields and two portals (one 3-line and one 8-line). When I jump to FIND, it takes several seconds to bring up find. This isn't a scripted find, just regular one. It scans down the page in slow motion until it reaches the end, THEN jumps to field one to open fine mode.

I've never seen anything so funky looking. I have no scripts attached, very basic standard form. No calcs, nothing that I'm aware of which would cause this behavior. Any suggestions on speeding up (and smoothing out) this process? confused.gif

The "peeling" down the page behaviour you are describing reminds me of using programs in virtual memory (when all real memory has been used up). It redraws more slowly, peeling down the screen because hard drive is slower than RAM...

I don't know if this is your problem since it's only happening in one situation.

Hi Jason!

This work computer is very old. This is the first time I've worked on this form on this computer. I think 16mb, probably better than 486 but not much (I know, it sucks), terrible monitor & graphics. None of my other layouts have anywhere near the complexity.

Maybe I'll try rebooting to free some RAM and not loading anything else. I have no mem-resident stuff, but I do tend to load everything in the universe simultaneously! Well for goodness sakes, that's the purpose of multi-tasking isn't it wink.gif

Yes, indeed your suggestion sure makes sense!

• 5 weeks later...

As I have to roll my solutions out on PowerMac 8100's, at times, and running simultaneously with Quark XPress (**sobs softly**) I have seen this behaviour. The most common culprit for me has been unstored calculations on the layout, or portals. Its much slower pulling data to display from another DB, basically. But you said it was in 'find mode' so it wouldn't need to display data, I don't know. Still, its something to check.

This topic is 7893 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.