Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Mac FMServer with a remote location

This topic is 7833 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a client with two locations needing to host several FileMaker data bases via the internet. He has a Mac LAN w/ a new Mac Server with FileMaker Server 5.5. The remote site also has a Mac an a DSL line. Is there a straight forward way to hook up a mac only system (Mac server, workstation and remote stations) into a Mac WAN? I already know about Terminal Server, Citrix and Timbukui, but I was hoping someone had experience with a Mac to Mac WAN that works.

How many users are on the remote side?

Aside from the expense Citrix is a good cross plaform solution, although the Citrix Server itself only runs on WinNT, the clients can be anything from Windows to Mac to Palm/PocketPC and I would assume Linux.

The acutal user does not see a Windows desktop either, the application look as if they are running locally.

We have the same customers as you! We also use filemaker 5.5 server on a G4 server. The other way to connect the internet clients (when you want to stay on a mac) is by setting up a router on each side and build a VPN connection trough the DSL line. That way your data is secured to!

When your database uses much craphics...it's recommended to use a DSL line with a high upload at the server end and a DSL line with high download at the client side.

Hope this will help you!

jeff

• Newbies

I've installed several Terminal Servers and Citrix machines in a Windows environment. This client wants to stay Mac. They will only have one or two users logging in as remote users. I was hoping there was a better solution for the Mac then Timbukui.

• Newbies

The problem I saw in using a point to point connect is the amount of graphics they WILL pull through. This app happens to be very graphic intense and large jpeg pictures are going back and forth. Using the Windows flavor of communication services nigate some of the band width requirements - we will still have a partial t1 on one end and a DSL on the other. But I don't believe that the "regular" DSL line will be adequate enough in a point to point setup as you described.

This topic is 7833 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.