Protect Files at Window

Anh_Tran

This topic is 7917 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Dear All,

I would like to know if there is a way to gray out the files on the Window bar ...since If you clikc at Window at the top, it will show a list of files related ...How can I make it protected so people can not click on the files at window at the top?

Thanks

The only highly satisfactory answer is plug-in based. There are two main options:

New Millennium Communications - SecureFM:

http://www.nmci.com/Product_Detail.htm?pid=P61PPUGKCG0ZSQJBWUDO&-session=dwc:9E87A7CE0274C2FFF0FE463E74EABF03

Dacons International - Menu Control:

http://www.dacons.net/fmplugins/menucontrol/prodinfo/index.html

...highly satisfactory if you can afford them, that is.

Alternatively, it is possible to prevent access to files on the Window menu by using a scripting technique which keeps a script paused at all times (the Window menu is not active when a script is running).

This approach, however, has a number of implications for the way in which a solution works, and requires careful thought (and a good deal of work) to implement uniformly throughout. Every script (including the startup) except the closing script must end in a Loop/Pause/End Loop sequence, unless the script is to be attached to a button with the 'Resume' setting applied.

Play around with it you'll get the idea, as well as getting a feel for whether it might be an approach you would want to contemplate in this case.

Thanks Ray

I got your idea ...I will play with it later ...This morning somehow I put the pause buton in the script and it stucks so I take it out ... and now I see what you say ...that gives me the idea ...May I know you have an example that I could see?

About the plug-in ...If I install on my computer or on the server ...each station needs to install plug-in also or just my station that people connect to?

Sorry to bother you about it

Thanks

The plug in has to be installed on each client machine, however the process can be automated using the 'Auto Update' plug-in which ships with FMP. Assuming you are using FM Server, you can set earch workstaion to automatically retrieve and install updated or new plug-ins.

The way you'd normally approach this would be to purchase a site license or a developer license to provide coverage for the required number of machines, then automate the installation process so that the exercise is transparent to the users.

"Every script (including the startup) except the closing script must end in a Loop/Pause/End Loop sequence, unless the script is to be attached to a button with the 'Resume' setting applied."

I don't get to this point ....every script must begin and end in loop/Pause/End Loop ...with the button with Resume setting ... I really don't understand your point ... I could not see Resume setting in Filemaker. Sorry about my innocent question smile.gif

I don't get to this point ....every script must begin and end in loop/Pause/End Loop

No, I didn't say begin and end, just end. The point is that after the script has done what it is intended to do, it enters a loop within which it (deliberately) gets stuck, thus keeping it active until another script is launched. That way there is always a script running, and the Window menu is never accessible. It's a bit crude, but it can be made to work.

...with the button with Resume setting ... I really don't understand your point ... I could not see Resume setting in Filemaker.

Whenever you specify a button to run a script in FileMaker, right underneath the drop-down menu of scripts in the 'Specify Button...' dialog, is another drop-down menu with four options (followed by the words 'Current Script'). The options on this second menu are 'Halt', 'Exit', 'Resume' and 'Pause', with the latter being the default. That is the Resume setting to which I was referring.

This topic is 7917 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.