Server Maintenance This Week. ×

[ OFF TOPIC ] Primary Key

This topic is 7788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have read the article on this forum "Auto-entered Unique PrimaryIDs". I think this is simply a brilliant approach to a primary key and I appreciate the explanations of why it's important to separate the actual primary key from the data itself.

Everything I've read to date about primary keys suggests selecting a field that is a good candidate (such as purchase order number--which 'should' be unique) or an auto-incremented key (1, 2, 3, etc.). I also like the idea that this approach will be unique across databases. It could allow for entry into the db from two remote sites with the records later merged and virtually no chance for any keys to overlap.

Here's my question:

I want to adopt this as my technique for creating a primary key from now on--for every database. I'm currently learning MS Access and cannot figure out how to implement this same approach for the primary key. If someone knows MS Access 2000 and can point me in the right direction, I'd really appreciate it. What I can't figure out is 1) where I should put the calculation and 2) how to get the date/time as serial numbers of the current date/time instead of formatted date/time and 3) how to get the record ID.

I know this is off-topic, so if someone can help me, please e-mail me privately ([email protected]). Thanks!

smile.gif

Ken Fleisher

This topic is 7788 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.