Server Maintenance This Week. ×

What to expect from email?

valyent

This topic is 7783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

If emailing, what can be sent? A layout?; contents of a layout? How is the information formatted at receiving end?

I have a Project Tracking db that allows users on a network to generate quotation requests via layouts for vendors. We are currently using a fax software to send the layout. Email would be more efficient (and faster) but I am not sure what would be sent.

Any overview will be appreciated.

Via email, not a great deal. No layout format (unless you print to PDF and add the attachment)

You would only get what you specify as the body of the email, either thru a calculation field combining several pieces of information together, or you can get more advanced and create an html format and email that. Most of the time this requires the use of a plugin like SMTPit, available from www.cnsplug-ins.com

HTH

All my purchase orders and part of my quotes/cust orders are mailed to my vendors/customers by a script that prints to pdf format using Print to Pdf and attached to the mail using External script with SMTPit. The threads doesn't show up in the Main index, but look to this post as I came with the same problem some time ago

Click here

Like Jason, I think that sending a pdf attachment is the best way to send a formatted document by email. Anyone can read a pdf document. There is the added advantage that they can't modify it.

Remember that email is basically a method for sending text messages, and over the years various email client software has evolved a number of different enhancements. But, there is never any guarantee that the recipient has anything better than a plain text email client. So, it's risky trying to embed formatting into the email itself. Better to use an attachment, and pdf is the best by far.

This topic is 7783 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.