Slow down for remapping imports

This topic is 8364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I am refining my field names and as such, have to remap the old data when I import an archive. It is driving me crazy trying to match up the old with the new as the fields zip from the top to the bottom of that tiny little window when I attempt to drag it to it's new position. Is there any way to slow the drag down or to expand the window to a decent size?

Yep. The scrolling can really fly. Here is what I do when I remap from an old database to a new one.

If you remember to start off the renaming process in the import dialog and use the button that alows you to edit the fields. In fact, if you start here first, it is a complete snap.

However, if you have already changed a bunch of field names, as I usually do, try the following.

First, in the import records dialog box, I sort by creation order. Often this matches up all of the fields, except where some new ones have been created or old fields have been deleted. Even then, the fields are in proximity to their mates.

Then I start at the bottom of the list and work upwards. Replacing a field in the order drops the replaced field name downward, often to the bottom, so this keeps things pretty orderly.

Finally, once I get the import order right, before anything else I capture the work in a script. After going to all of that work, it only makes sense to keep it stored. Then I test the script and scrutinize the data to ensure everything mapped properly. If it did, good. If not, at least I can run the import script again and modify the import where necessary and update the script.

No answer on your original question of how to slow down the scrolling, except to move the field up or down to near the window limit, then use the scroll arrows to make some room, then move the field a little more. When I can that is what I do. Mostly I swear a lot.

This topic is 8364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.