Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Certain dbase's too long to open on ALL machines.

genek

This topic is 7770 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a similar problem to a previous post but slightly different - 2 of our databases are suddenly taking very long to open (3-5 minutes) on everyone's machine. Running Server 5.5 on a Win 2000 machine. We have 10 local users who have FM Pro 5, 5.5 or 6.

One main database has approximately 700 records. This database has a container field that is linked to a separate pictures database of jpg's and bmp's. It has never (for 2+ years) taken very long to open until a couple weeks ago. What I did was weed out some old records in both the main database and the picture database (from 800 to 700 records).

Not sure if this is the cause, but when I perform similar maintenance on non-hosted/non-shared databases, a message comes up regarding "blocks", as if FM is cleaning up the dbase in some way. But this message does not come up on shared/hosted databases. Is there some sort of utility to run to clean up a "reduced" database?

Other than deleting approx 100 records recently, I can not think of why the sudden increase in time to open this database. Host machine runs Win 2000. Users run 98, 2000, or XP. All have recent versions of FM Pro.

Thank you.

You could perform a quick test by replacing the current files with a backed-up set made before the changes and see if it makes any difference.

On the other hand, I'd do this: stop FMS, open the files in FMP and save them as compressed, then run FMS again with these new lean and mean files. I'd also check whether the server's hard disk is filling up and maybe delete some temp files. A disk error scan and defrag would not hurt either.

Tried saving as compressed, but that did not help.

Plenty of room on the hard disk - we dedicate a machine to host our databases only.

I will try the scan and defrag.

Interesting note: When I turned filemaker server off, and accessed the unhosted database through the network, it opened immediately. Does this not indicate this is a FM Server hosting issue?

Thanks,

Gene

Hang on! You said "accessed the unhosted database through the network"

Has the FMS server got file sharing turned on? This is generally not good. Amongst other things it could mean that somebody has made copies of the files on their local hard disk and is running them from there... when they are opened they'll be multi-user and available for people to open remotely, immediately causing confusion.

I'd now start looking for copies of the databases on client's machines too.

I dunno what your setup is, but I'd recommend NOT allowing file-level client access to the server, and giving each user an opener file throigh which they access the system.

"Has the FMS server got file sharing turned on?"

I'm not sure where to check for this. I do know the folders are not shared. I do allow sharing when I have to perform certain functions (ie - passwords, layout changes). I stop FM Server from running and then I turn file sharing on in the appropriate folder and then access the fm files from another machine running FM Pro 6 through the network. Once completed with a task, I turn file sharing off in the folder properties and activate FM Server once again.

Is this what you are referring to?

I did not yet have the opportunity to run a scan disk and defrag. I will try that as soon as I can, but this requires me to de-activate FM Server and thus access to the databases.

The save as compressed file did not work. Also, I will check if people have somehow been able to make copies of this database on their local machines. I was hoping this was not possible and we have clear instruction they are not allowed to do so. I will look into this as well.

Thank you for your assistance,

Gene

This topic is 7770 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.