FM and script newcomer NEEDS some guidance

Pennfrog

This topic is 7751 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hey all!

I am new to FilemakerPro. I am running 6.0 on OS X.1.2.

For business I have the need to e-mail from FM which I gather is best with the smtpit plug-in.

Here is what I could like to accomplish:

Send an individual e-mail to everyone in my database that has the following characteristics:

1) Customized subject line with their name an college team name

2) Customized body (preferably in HTML with pictures) that has fields inserted from the database (ie first name, job title, college, college mascot, conference, etc) so it is as personal as possible

3) an attachment of a photoshop image customized for each team

I believe this is possible, but due to my lack of experience, am having trouble making heads or tails of all the information out there.

If someone would be willing to offer me guidance, I would be eternally grateful.

Does anyone know if there are sample scripts that I may be able to work off of or modify?

Thanks so much in advance for pointing me in the right direction, right now I definately feel overwhelmed.

Pennfrog

I personally like SMTPit and have written an email solution around SMTPit and POP3it. I think it is a more stable approach than trying to use the built-in email integration with other email programs.

You should be able to implement all the features you have mentioned using this approach. Download the trial version of SMTPit. It includes an example email file which has fairly good examples of how to use the features of this plug-in to do what you wish.

How easy all this will be depends more on your FM expertise than the features of the plug-in. I wouldn't say what you wish to do is hard, but I also wouldn't call it a beginner project.

-bd

• Newbies

I have downloaded the SMTPit plug-in and have read all of the associated documentation. I feel like I have somewhat of a handle on how to do the mass mailing aspect of it. I am still confused as to how I would insert fields into the body of the e-mail and how that would be scripted (ie. what commands to use).

Do you know of anywhere I could get more information on this

PennFrog

Ugo, It should be the scorcher by now with 9 replies!!!!

And why should he have to wait for a while???

You can order eBullet NOW, for the low price of (see website for details)

email - as easy as 1, 2, 3!

(hey Vaughan, does this class as a shameless plug too!!!) :

:

This topic is 7751 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.