Importing a specific record

This topic is 8292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to Import a specific record from another FM file, instead of "all records"? I have 10 developers that will have their own FM database where they create records. When they create a record, they will let me know when it is finished and then I import it to my "master database". The only problem is, it imports all their records. I only want a particular one (i.e. #2 in their list), not ones that they did (and I imported) previously.

I tried to make it perform a find in my script, but instead of doing the find in the "other" database, it does a find in the one where I want to import the record to (the one where I am running the script from). I have an "Open File" command as my first line, opening up the file where the record is, but maybe I'm doing something else wrong. I am a novice script writer, so any help would be greatly appreciated.

Indeed, the find script must be in the "other" file. You call a script in another file by using the Perform Script script step, selecting "external", selecting the file and selecting the desired script.

Sound like you need to spend a little more time with the FM manual. wink.gif" border="0.

-bd

Here is the basic pattern:

File A (import into)

Script Import Single Record

Open [File B]

Perform Script [External, File B::Find Record]

Import [from File B]

File B (export from)

Script Find Record

Enter Find Mode

Set Field [Find Criteria from File A]

Perform Find

There is alot that you left unsaid, like how you define your find criteria and what fields you are importing, but by following this basic pattern you should be able to fill in the missing pieces.

Basically you were just missing the part about running the Find script in File B.

This topic is 8292 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.