Server Maintenance This Week. ×

XSL and XML...

macaroni

This topic is 7708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I created a test db called, newsletter which contains the fields of article_id, category, title, summary, and weblink. Then I exported it to XML and when I veiwed the XML file, there was a lot of stuff which I wasn't too clear on.

The tags were <col><data>foobar</data></col> for all the records, my question is how do you make it such that it would be <article id="123"> <category>Sales</category><title>My title</title><summary>Blah Blah Blah</summary><weblink>http://mylink.com/thislink.com</weblink>

</article>

Is this where XSL comes in? If so, can anyone explain how to write my own XSL or direct as to where to read on it. I just need a basic intro/bare bones intro.

Thanks.

It looks like when you exported, you exported as fmpxmlresult. This gives you the generic <col><data>foobar</data></col> setup. If you export as fmpdsoresult, you'll get a more verbose result, i.e.

<article>123</article>

<category>Sales</category>

etc..

You'd use XSL to give it a certain look or to help format the data so that it can be read by another app. If you check out XML Central at FileMaker's site ( XML Central ) they have some great examples of working with XML and XSL.

This topic is 7708 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.