Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Signature Capture

This topic is 7603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

A client wants me to add a signature capture to an Existing database that would, well, capture signatures for invoices and customer pick ups and store them in the DB. Have not done this before, and was wondering if anyone could offer advice for the best place to start my research. My initial thought is that this would just be a simple container field that would hold a graphic scan of the signature. Was wondering what software/plugind/scanners other people have used to get the data into FM. Preferably looking for a UPS style hand unit- one that the customer could write directly onto the paper invoice and have it captured underneath.

TIA

-Raz

I've just recently started looking into this model from HHP:

http://www.HHP.com/hhp/products/product.tpl?prodsku=43279611185713

I believe there are TWAIN plugins for FileMaker that would allow you to capture directly from the device to a container.

This is an RS-232 device, so I'm not sure yet if there are problems using it with a Mac. They do not officially support the Mac, but I should get some information back on Monday regarding whether or not a generic TWAIN driver will work.

Jason-

Thanks for the quick reply. Checked out the HHP model briefly- looks like it could do the trick. I will have to study up on TWAIN, but it seems to be the most common method for many products. Would be curious to know what you hear back on monday.

Thanks!

-Raz

Okie here's what I got so far...

There are two ways to capture a signature from an HHP Signature Capture device:

Option 1) Using Serial commands through the RS-232 inferface:

HHP does not provide software for the Mac although they are quite willing to provide all the information necessary for developers to build this into their own software. Not being very knowledgeable about serial, I'm not sure how difficult this would be to accomplish using the Troi Serial Plugin. Anybody want to hazard a guess? How bad could it be? smile.gif

Option 2) Using TWAIN

HHP has an old TWAIN driver you can download, but it ain't gonna work on a Mac. If you're on a PC, you could use this with a plug-in from PowerSolutions ( www.powersolutions.it )

• 2 months later...

Thought I would post a follow up.

Finally got back to this project, and the HHP 1500 arrived today. In about 1+ hours, I managed to install the thing, browse through the documentaation, and make it work with my database. I chose the simple route and just had filemaker run a send message script step that opened the prebuilt "Capture Signature to Clipboard" application (included on the install disk), and put the filepath + "/c" in the text box of the send message script (C:HHPSDKGetSigW32-bitGetsigw.exe /C).

put a pause/resume step, and then paste to container.

Crude, but effective and plenty for my needs. I would reccomend for people using PC.

There seems to be much more one could do with the scanner using plugins, but as this does the job on its own, I am satisfied.

-Raz

This topic is 7603 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.