Server Maintenance This Week. ×

importing graphics

This topic is 8087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am putting together a directory with photo accompanying each record.

When I try to import Photoshop files I get the message that there is not enough memory, try increasing preferred memory size. I have done this, taking the preferred memory to 50mb and get the same message.

I can import JPEG images without a problem. Do I have to convert all the photoshop images to JPEG?

Hello Robert:

I have received better results when I insert any pictue as a JPEG into FileMaker. When saving your Photoshop files, I suggest saving it as a JPEG, and then you can set a preferable size and image quality.

I also believe this is a better idea for other reasons, such as compatibility. Storing the image as a reference is an excellent idea from danjacoby. He is very knowledgeable, and has helped me out on many occaisions. From what I understand, you will want to avoid doing this if you want to export this record in the future, because the image may not transfer properly.

In my (limited) experience with Macs, I find that memory problems may be solved by rebuilding the Desktop, or a fresh install of the program (provided that you have already properly adjusted the memory allocation).

Do you notice this message with any other programs, such as Word or Photoshop? Do you get a "Type 1" or "Type 11" error? if so, you can try flashing your MOBO RAM.

If this problem persists, please post your Mac specs. I have noticed a similar problem working on an iMac 400 running OS 9.2. However, this problem does not occur on the G4 450 i use on occaision. On my Windows, I never experience memory problems, and I hear OSX has eradicated this problem.

Ken

• Newbies

Robert

This works for me. In Photoshop, size or crop the photo to your FMP Graphic box size and make it 72 dpi jpeg. Set FMP image so it can be seen on your screen, while in PS. Then with the PS select tool, select your photo and drag and drop it in/on your FMP record in browse mode.

Hope this does the trick.

Jack

[ February 20, 2002, 07:10 AM: Message edited by: Mckinc ]

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Robert,

As mentioned in other areas of this forum you might want to think about getting a plugin to handle this for you - the Troi plugin will allow you to view a preview of an image file in FMPro, while allowing you to open the image up into Photoshop and edit it, by clicking on a button. Drag and dropping images straight from the editor into FMP isn't that much of a good idea, even though it saves a lot of time, due to compatibility issues etc. If all else fails use JPEG's or for editable detail (bear in mind the size that the database could expand to) try using TIF images.

• Newbies

Julian

Can you tell me why dragging jepg photo out of photoshop and dropping into fmp picture box is not a good idea.

I have done it this way for almost 3,000 images. I'd like to know what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks Julian

Jack

[ March 06, 2002, 06:34 AM: Message edited by: Mckinc ]

This topic is 8087 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.