Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Duplicating and Entire FMPRO5 Database

This topic is 8081 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hello there,

I am working on creating a new division on our company. I would like to use the exact "layout" (including scripts, pages, tabs etc etc) The changes will only be the name of the file.

I do not want the current database information to be included in this duplicate. Just the basic overall program.

For instance; We have a quoting system in place with quotes in numerical sequence. I would like the sequence to begin with a first quote of 1. Basically start over.

Is there a way to duplicate the entire file for use with another comapny??

Thanking you in advance

Hi,

Simply choose save a copy as and choose a clone no records.

Then give the file a new name

Then go to the field that has the serial number and reset.

CAUTION! If you are using related files as well, then the relationship names will get messed up.

If this is the case, you need a kind person who has a copy of developer (if you don't have a copy) to save the files with new names. Then the relationships will get changed and all calls to external scripts will be ok)

HTH

OK,

What you will need to do is turn off the file(s) in question on the server and open them locally on the server in FMPro, with full access priviledges.

Then you will be able to choose save a copy from the file menu.

And Dan, I was not suggesting breaking the law on this when i suggested asking someone if they had a copy of developer to rename the files if in a relational system.

My point was that if someone had the rights to the database (as in this case) that they could ask for assistance from an external source. Surely not breaking the law there.

Well you do need to know the password. So you are not dead-ended but sent off on another trail.

I believe that Filemaker, Inc will recover passwords out of databases. They require some proof that you actually own the rights to the DB. Give them a call and they can give you all the details.

There is a quicker way to deal with this! Just copy the file while it’s closed to another section of your hard drive. Then rename it. Open it, and delete all the records. If it’s using related files, it will show an error message when opening. You can then select any file you wish and filemaker will update the relationships. The only problem with this is that the field names have to be right, but with a bit of trickery you can do it.

So, to the next point. If someone developed a solution for your company and protected it with a password, you need to find out who the rightful owner is. If he or she is the owner, then they had the right to protect it. However, if that’s the case, then they must have included a special layout or help>>Info screen to display this fact – if they didn’t they have broken the law. To be honest, if this was an employee, I doubt that he or she is the owner. But find out or Filemaker will not help you at all. They will only crack a password if you can prove that you own the solution. Contact the employee and ask him or her what the password is. Maybe he or she just forgot to tell you when they left. Did they leave any documentation of the file anywhere? It could be that they have the password stored somewhere? At some point, he or she must have been asked to develop this solution – who asked them? Find out and ask this person what the deal was regarding ownership.

Rigsby

PS. Danjacoby: If the person involved is not the legal owner, then I agree with you. Otherwise, he had a right to protect his work.

quote:

Originally posted by Rigsby:

PS. Danjacoby: If the person involved is not the legal owner, then I agree with you. Otherwise, he had a right to protect his work.

You're quite correct; I was working under the assumption that, since it was created by an employee, it was "work for hire" and therefore owned by the company.

This topic is 8081 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.