Vaiable sized fields in printout

This topic is 7621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is there any way to print out a report efficiently with a field that varies in length?

What I have in mind is printing a name, and then print a field next to it that may have from one to fifteen lines of text. If there is only one line in the text field, then the report would print the next name on the following line. In other words, the length of the text field determines when to print the next record.

Hi,

I have a similar problem.

As I found out I can't expand a field - I can only shrink it!!!

Using Format -> Sliding/Printing can do the job.

But I think that it would be great if FileMaker could give us in the future an option to stretch an object (field, label, etc.) when the text size exceeds object's size.

It would be a feature even more powerful than "Sliding" feature...

hi,

here is a part of FileMaker's help on

"Placing merge fields"

"Use a merge field for documents like form letters, labels, envelopes, or contracts. Merge fields shrink or EXPAND to fit the amount of text in the field for each record. (This behavior includes collapsing an entire line, such as an empty Address

I think what John is trying to do can be solved by the sliding/shrinking options (I think we're talking vertically here), but the key point in this situation is to select the sliding up based on "all above" rather than "only directly above."

This topic is 7621 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.