Anyone have problems lining up fields?

This topic is 8067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm using FMP 5.0 on Windows and Macs.

As the machines I work on get faster and faster, I've noticed that when I am doing field mapping for importing from other data files, the field I am dragging zooms in both directions, and it is hard to get it right where I want it. (Especially if the corresponding field is somewhere in the middle of the list.) I guess it would help if the window was expandable.

Thanks.

It happens with more than just the export/import windows. Ever try moving layouts around? If you have a long list and start with one at the bottom, it will shoot to the top. For a while now, I have believed that it is strictly a Filemaker problem. If it were the operating system, all the lists should behave the same way which they don't. Also, I've never encountered the problem with any other software. It really would be nice if FM fixed their longstanding bugs in the next release.

C'mon OAM...Using Export/Import is a nightmare with large files. There is no good reason that the left pane display order shouldn't follow what I originally set in that file (like field order) so I don't have to slowly drag the field thru the list which is in some stupid unknown order.

After the last release, a bunch of stuff should have been fixed that wasn't. If it were up to me, most of those guys would be polishing their resumes. Priority number 1 should always be to fix the existing problems, not give us new crap that also isn't ready for prime time!!!!!!

I believe Windows "invented" the concept of ultra-fast scrolling. Unfortunately, when Apple copied it, they neglected to allow slow scrolling as an option.

I generally have quite a number of fields that cannot have data imported (calc fields, for instance), and they're usually scattered through the list. As a result, I can move fields up and down one windowheight at a time.

But you're right; it's a pain in the @$$.

On the Mac, select the field/layout/whatever you wish to move, hold down the Command key & use the up/down arrows.

I suspect that on Windows machines you'd use the Control key in place of the Command key, but not having one of those monsters I can't test it.

This topic is 8067 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.