PDF in databases between OSX and PC problem. Help!

This topic is 7610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi, I work on a PC but I was told to build a database and have PDF files embedded in the database. I've been doing this by having container fields and inserting the PDF files that way. But the problem is when I go to my boss who works on OSX, the container fields show a windows icon and when he double clicks on the icon it doesn't open the PDF file.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Kermy

Hi,

only the content of the PDF file is merged into the FM field, the actual file is not stored. A graphical copy is made of the PDF pages, so they can not be opened again as PDF.

I am looking for the same thing, I want to include actual PDF files into my database for storage (quotations, orders etc). No luck so far, can't even find plug-ins for this.

Jim

If you have a web page I have a solution that works quite well - AND is platform neutral.

Place the PDF files in a separate folder on your web site.

Add a "URL" field in your database that would contain the "HTTP//" URL for that particular file.

Use the GO to URL script step related to the "URL" field. When you activate the script, the PDF file will open in the user's browser.

Hello,

Yes, these are the only alternatives to storing the PDF. I would like to store these files in the DB as this will not require seperate storage/addressing (ease of use for my customers).

The URL/path links seems to be the only available option so far.

jim

instead of http:// use <a href="file://path-to/mypdf.pdf." target="_blank">file://path-to/mypdf.pdf.</a> Then it opens in Acrobat reader directly. You do not need to turn on Web companion for that.

Alternative:

You can store PDF files as reference on MacOS X and Windows. just don't drag the file onto the container field, use insert graphic -&gt; as reference only menu command. This does not work on MacOS 9 or Classic. drawback: only first page is shown on OS X.

2. Alternative:

You can store the PDF file as Movie, if you have Quicktime 5+installed. this works on all 3 platforms. To advance pages, use the movie slider. Choose insert Quicktime movie, point to the PDF.

on the Mac there is no OLE, so no embedding.

There used to be publish & subscribe and another embedding technique as used in Cyberdog (forgot the name). unfortunately, Steve Jobs kicked it out of MacOs. MS OLE is no longer supported by any current Mac application (except within Microsoft Office apps).

This topic is 7610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.