Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Summary Calc - HELP!

This topic is 7628 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

In my database each client has several records. Each record has a calculation field named "TtlPaid". I have created a layout with a portal listing all the records for a particular client and the "TtlPaid" field for each record. I need to create a calculation field that will summarize all the "TtlPaid" fields.

I have already created a summary calc field of "TtlPaid" with running total. The results I get are either a summary of a single record (if the field is placed in the Body of the layout) or a summary of all records in the database (if the field is placed in the footer.)

My head is spinning!

[color:"red"] Thanks to everyone who has replied to my postings for help. I have found solutions from your many suggestions.

Sounds like you've already got a relationship by client, the one you use for the portal. So all you need is Sum(Client::TtlPaid) -- it's a calc field, not a summary field.

Thanks Tom... Don't know if it makes a difference, but the relationship I created is a self-relationship. I created the calc field you suggested but am only getting a total for a single record. Basiclly, I need to have a total of all the records of a single client; then a total for the records of another client, etc.

It doesn't matter that it's a self-join. If each record has a number or calc field TtlPaid, and a field Client_ID, and you make a relationship Client_ID::Client_ID, then Sum(Client_ID::TtlPaid) will give you the total. The field should be outside the portal, is that the problem?

This topic is 7628 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.