Preferred port for FileMaker

This topic is 7622 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

FileMaker is telling me I can't use port 80 and to select another. I assume it saying that because I'm already serving a site from my computer. Is there a preferred port for FileMaker? I know almost nothing about this. Mac OS X allows me to serve web pages and I'm doing a personal site over DSL and I want to publish the database for one or two people to be able to access. I'm mainly concerned with not selecting a port that might be needed for something else in the future or selecting some other reserved number.

Second question: Does this mean that to access the database, one will have to go to http://123.23.456.67:99 where the 99 is the port number that is specified? (not really my IP number)

Thank you for any help.

Port 591 is registered at IANA by FMI for alternative Web hosting.

You can easily set that in WebCOmpanion Preferences.

Your example is OK, but it should use 591 port.

Another chance is to use Web Server Connector, sort of plugin for most web servers.

WSC is translating output from WC port 591 to web server and then everything is served on port 80

Thank you again Anatoli. Haven't tried it from the outside, but seems to work on my machine (MAC OS X web serving).

If need be I'll look into the Web Server Connector, but since I'll only have a very limited audience and it's a private database, I think the more complicated :591 is useful.

Thanks from California. I hope to get to Prague someday. but Turkey is next on our list.

Greg

This topic is 7622 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.