Image import - server

This topic is 7614 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

We are currently having problems with importing .jpeg files into our FMP IS database. I have read previous threads and some deal with this problem, but not quite.

We currently run FMP Server V5.0v2 and FMP v6.0v4 on all client machines, the system runs on G4 macs running on a OS 9.1 ethernet network.

The problem occurs when images are located on a seperate Mac (i.e not on the FMP server machine), images are imported using the folders.. import facility and stored in a container field, thumbnails are also utilised.

When imported the images show on the client machine in both a thumbnail and large version, but once client quits and re-opens both images (thumbnails and larger image) don't show (message 'cannot draw file...').

If same images are placed on the FMP server machine and imported the same way images (both thumbs and large) show properly.

Doe this mean that images cannot be distributed amongst several machines and need to live on the server machine exclusively?

Any help here would be appreciated.

Cheers

Sounds that way.

FMServer won't be able to locate the folder/files of the client machine. It looks like you're importing only a reference, try turning this off.

I am assuming you are importing to a FMServer hosted file.

• Newbies

Thanks for the advice.

Our intention is to keep the database size manageable, storing as a refernce is a must. Jfmcel, I don't get what you mean by move image to a server volume? But I will check out these Troi plug-ins which I don't know much about.

Thanks again.

If you have the images as file references, they must reside on a volume accessable to all users -- a server volume. If a user selects an image that is on their local hard drive, just have your image import script move the image to the server volume.

This topic is 7614 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.