Help! Problem hosting, guest can't see/access

This topic is 7610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have been on with FM techs and Linksys and haven't resolved anything, so I did some research on the web and found you guys - your help would be greatly appreciated:

Me (Host): Running FM 5.5, Win98, Linksys Router, have forwarded port 5003

Guest: Running FM 6.0, XP - when they enter my WAN IP address nothing shows up in the host box

Linksys tech had me set up a static ip for my computer where port 5003 is forwarded. My guest cannot access my shared files. Does anybody have any recommendations? What about DMZ hosting? Is this an option? Are there other ports that I need to open. Thanks in advance

Are you (the remote client) entering the external IP address of the Linksys?

Is port 5003 forwarded to the fixed IP, and port 5003, of your Win98 computer? For example: 192.168.0.2:5003

Do you have a Firewall (IP filtering) running on the Win98 computer? Do you have a Firewall running on the XP computer?

Good Luck.

Garry

• Newbies

Vaughan - Yes, both set to tcp/ip

Gary:

Are you (the remote client) entering the external IP address of the Linksys? I am the host, my partner the guest accessing from a different location

Is port 5003 forwarded to the fixed IP, and port 5003, of your Win98 computer? For example: 192.168.0.2:5003

Router tech had me set up as follows:

Ext. Port: 5003 to 5003, Tcp box "checked", udp not "checked", IP address set up for fixed example: 192.168.0."x", and Enable box is "checked"

Do you have a Firewall (IP filtering) running on the Win98 computer? Do you have a Firewall running on the XP computer?

On the 98, the Block Wan request is "disabled", not sure if the XP has firewall running, but I have been able to log on to him when he is the host. However, now most of the work will be done at my location so it is much easier (faster) if i am the host.

Thanks guys - any advice is appreciated.

Hi Roberth,

Can you reach your Win98 computer from another computer on your own network by entering the internal IP number used (192.168.0.2) in it's 'connect to host' dialog?

To further isolate the problem I would be willing to schedule a check from my location. I can connect to the databases running on the server in my office via Internet, so my side of the connection can be considered to work i.m.o.

You could host some test files for such an occassion.

(But maybe that's considered a really indecent proposal, because it involves exchanging IP N

This topic is 7610 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.