Development Standards and CDML

This topic is 7600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hey all,

I have been working with FMP for a long time now and have gotten alot of satisfaction from the development standards posted here, especially the one from CoreSolutions (thanks guys)

Now my world has turned to the web in a major way. I am doing lots of codingin in CDML/HTML/Javascript etc. I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on standard work habits that would keep me in line?

Any genneral suggestions would be appreciated.

Jerry

Hi Jerry,

"I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions on standard work habits that would keep me in line?"

Do you want input only if it's web-based suggestions? Well, one would be don't have spaces in your field names - web has problems with that.

Use Comments heavly in scripting so you'll know what is happening if you review it later. Document the 'real word' thinking and purpose of calcs, or include a comment within the calc itself (but that looks a bit funky). And the most important of all, get a clear picture of your solution and the best structure and data-flow before ever starting to write your code. smile.gif

LaRetta

That's a good subject. I believe many of the CoreSolutions standards were developed expressly because of new problems we have with names on the web.

One item I've found essential to comment are Tokens. Another (useful for JavaScript) is to comment the position of elements in forms; and change them when you add something (kind of a pain; wouldn't it be great if your text editor could do this for you!).

A tip for those who use a text editor for CDML is to use one that has a "glossary" feature. I use BBEdit (Mac). I've got a set of all the CDML tags, which I exported out of the CDML Reference, as separate little files; organised in folders. I'll post them here. Just stick 'em in your Glossary folder and off you go.

This topic is 7600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.