This topic is 8044 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi folks,

I'm new to the forum. After years of using ClarisWorks office for my database app, I purchased FM 5.5 the other day. I'm really enjoying it, and am in the initial stages of setting up solutions for my wife [real estate agent] and myself [ composer/sound designer ].

My first question deals with finding answers to what I'm sure are old questions within this forum. I realize a "search" function exists, but is there a repository of info targeted for new users on this forum ? Could there be ? The folders here seem well organized, and I wonder if any info has been consolidated, both for the benefit of novices and to avoid frequent repetition of similar concepts. The f.a.q. section at filemaker.com doesn't quite cut it ... just curious.

thanks for your input,

YaYa

First of all, welcome to the forum.

There isn't any specific "Beginner's Topics" forum. The purpose of this BB is not so much giving general advice (as the FM FAQ is supposed to do), but rather specific answers to specific questions.

With this in mind, don't be afraid to ask what may seem like silly "newbie" questions; many others do, with positive results.

Meanwhile, feel free to browse the boards; you never know when you'll learn something.

RE: I'm really enjoying it, and am in the initial stages of setting up solutions for my wife [real estate agent] and myself [ composer/sound designer

We didn't have real estate agents allowed here in Czech Republic when communists where in power and I was trying to be musician and producer cool.gif

Just ask anything what you cannot find in topics smile.gif

There are not stupid questions. Biggest mistake is not to ask wink.gif

Thanks for the welcome ...

I ordered "Special Edition Using Filemaker Pro 5" [by Coulombre + Price] yesterday, and hope that it will be a good springboard ... and yes, I've spent a good bit of time with both the "user's" and the "getting started" guide [ I fear the "developer's guide" may have to wait a bit shocked.gif ]. In the meantime, I'll probably start firing off a few questions in the forum.

thanks again,

YaYa

quote:

Originally posted by BobWeaver:

Just don't ask about how to make dynamic/related value lists, or we'll hunt you down and kill you.

When I know what a combination dynamic/related value list w/cheese is, I'll ask you laugh.gif ....

But seriously folks, I posted this query yesterday morning in "Sights and Sounds" ...

http://www.fmforums.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=36;t=000072;p=

Anyone care to take a stab at it ?

thanks,

YaYa

This topic is 8044 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.