Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Keep the Best from this Forum

This topic is 7460 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi all,

As suggested by Lee, here's attached a started template for a "ForumResourcesHistory".

At the moment, it allows you to :

- cut and paste some calcs you found here

- customise these calcs by substituting the fieldnames with yours

- store the link to the thread and some comments.

- store some User Profiles

I'll surely upgrade it with some ways to keep track of the scripts and some theory posted here.

Feel free to use it for your own needs.

Important :

I started that file as a simple "Translator" as I had some difficulties retrieving or posting some calcs here, due to the different System Settings.

This Translator is still here, designed for French Versions. Working two ways, it allows one user to paste his calcs from the Calc box, and get a suitable translation to post. Of course, it also allows to paste some calcs posted and gets its translation to French, even with some custom field defs.

I'll be glad to work on this version with other "foreigners" to have it a standard "universal" tool.

I'll also be glad to work in depth this tool with some who think it may be useful in this Community....

Thanks and report bugs and improvements.

ForumBenefits.zip

Thanks. I have some issue with zip that doesn't zip an opened file. Should work now.

I hope the file is strightforward to use and custom.

One thing I should say. Clicking in the record count in the "bar" script a "Show All records" (not straightforward, just the way I do it usually...)

Ugo, how kind of you to offer this.

I've always assumed that FMP developers would just make one for themselves. I think I recommended that two or three years ago. I mean, we are here because we are developers. How hard can it be for a FileMaker developer to keep the important threads in a db file?

I always enjoy taking apart the work of others to see how they design solutions. From that I learn a lot. So really, thanks.

Thanks Keith,

I agree we should keep an eye of what others are doing. That's also what I've always done.

The FM db wasn't so intuitive for me though....There were so many posts I wanted to keep in mind here that I started with an Excel Sheet full of links wink.gif.

But the FM way is the best approach. Drag and drop an adress in the link box, and you'll see what I mean...

This file is brand new and need some improvements. It is only designed for "calculations" while there are about a 1,000 links for scripts, relationships, CDML, Web, that one would like to keep in "mind".

Use this file as a start.

The update I'm working on, which will keep track of these additional "posts" will allow you (I'm working on it) to import the records you previously stored in that one. For matter of simplicity, all records would be stored within the same file, working with categories and keywords instead of relationships to retrieve a calc or a script.

I'm on my way with a Spanish Translator.

BTW, does anyone have a pdf Manual for Italian, german ?

Thanks

Nice Job, UGO.

I remember to have somewhat proposed similar some time ago. Unfortunately, I cannot simply add my half-baked German<->English FileMaker function translator, because it is based on relational design for flexible addition of additional languages and FileMaker versions.

Too busy to finish my solution anywhere soon, but think of changing your formula to use a translation table (and scripts for common misspellings... great idea !)

• 4 months later...

Hi Christian,

Thanks for this.

Detlev, don't worry, I'd just change it.

I had it in mind anyway, and needed to edit some calcs, as there were some missing functions and some bugs. I know Lee Smith had also worked aside on this file so it won't take long then to update this tool.

Here's how I had planned to update this file.

The Substitute approach wasn't quite the best, at least involving classic calculations. The good thing with FM calculations is that there's no space within the Function itself. The bad is that some functions may be using same text strings as "Left" and "LeftWords".

So a script will parse the posted (or to be posted) formula, and loop line by line to translate it using the Substitute function and a relationship to the External Function file.

Just a Prefernce choice and a button script. Less calcs. So everyone is happy grin.gif

Actually, when this update will be released, as it is totally open source, anyone willing to do it would just add his list in the FunctionTable.

Thanks again folks.

Thanks for your support,

Just wanted to say that I solved this issue about the Status Functions.

I totally revisited the file, and it would be a complete translation tool with all available versions (French, US, Swedish, German and Spanish) as I downloaded each Trial Version and imported all calcs from there...

Would be of course working all ways.

I messed up a little while developing it, but will probably post it before the end of the week.

Completely relational, it will include :

- a new way to store the best links, calcs, demos, tips in a Resources File.

- a Contact Manager (with all the fellow posters and members you want to add)

- a Function File, that will have all the Functions listed, with a portal related to all the links and calcs you stored that use this Functions.

Actually, even as a clone, I'm not sure it will pass through the limits established here for uploaded files. Let see...

Oh forgot. Metal Interface for sure wink.gif

Thanks for the support...

Betta testers please.....

The Translator part is done and I've been testing it with Lee Smith for a few days.

It works for any released version of FileMaker Pro, and will allow you to translate any given formula, as complex as it may be, even with an option for customizing it with your own fields.

It's not that over though. Please could I have some bug reports so that I can fix them before I release the whole file that would include the contacts and hopefully the Resource file....

Thanks for the help, and if it works, enjoy it...

There are 3 files in there, one hided (the translations), a function file that list any function and its translations and the GUI Translator...

Use the latest, and jump to the different functions used in a formula with a portal.

Again, it's just a test version...

(edited to work for nested functions too)

Translatorbetta2.zip

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.