Import Multiple Record Matches

This topic is 8696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I need to import multiple records into a sales database. I use the import while matching on a inique field option.

The problem is that there are multiple matches per record & I require all of this information. What happens is that Filemaker overrides the data already present with the last match - even if the fields are empty.

quote:

Originally posted by mattc:

I need to import multiple records into a sales database. I use the import while matching on a inique field option.

The problem is that there are multiple matches per record & I require all of this information. What happens is that Filemaker overrides the data already present with the last match - even if the fields are empty.

So are you trying to ADD new records or UPDATE existing records? I do not believe that it is possible do both in the same import.

You may need to find all the matching records, use the import to update them, then import all new records.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Senior Filemaker Developer

http://www.inthescene.com

mailto:[email protected]

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Thanks for your reply, but I probably wasn't clear enough.

I have import mulitiple record matches (database 1) importing to just one record (database 2) & I am updating existing records matched by customer id, i.e

database 1 (3 records)

Custid

1000 sale1

Assuming that both files are FileMaker files it can be done. The key is that you are going to have to update only one sales field at a time. You do this by performing a find in the source file. For the Sales1 field do a find for records "equal to or greater than 1". Then swith to your destination file and do your import/update, only importing/updating the field Sales1. Then repeat this procedure for each sales field. If you are going to do this on a regular basis it could be accomplished with a somewhat complex script. You might contemplate your Database Design if this is the case. Otherwise if this is a one time update do it manually and it will be done.

Adios

This topic is 8696 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.