Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Odd hosting issue

Razumovsky

This topic is 7600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi All,

Okay, I have seen similiar gripes about this, but no definitive solutions yet.

setup- FMPro5.0

Windows2000pro

Ethernet

I have a 22 file database on computer A (NOT in a shared folder).

I open files on computer A (through target file that scripts open the other 21), all are multi user.

I try and open on computer B through Open-Hosts, but I do not always get the files showing up in the Hosts box. If I try again, it sometimes works. Then when I click on the target files, it starts to open, but inevitably says it cannot find a file (different one each time...), which I have to select manually from the host box after a few tries, and proceed.

I have browsed through this section for a while, but have not found anything that worked so far. Also dropped $50 on FM support to no avail. I am going slightly nuts here, Any suggestions/troubleshooting advice would be greatly appreciated. Also- if there are other threads that pertain to this, would love to be pointed towards them.

TIA

-Raz

Hi Raz,

It could be an issue with FM5.0.

I remembered to have seen a post just when I joined this Forum and was concerned about upgrading to 5.5.

Related Thread

I just hope someone could find another answer for you, but as the process you're describing seems to be exactly following the common rules....

Thanks Ugo-

The problem in the thread sounds a bit different- I am not getting the "the file is single-user or the host can't be found on the network" message, but am rather having issues with sporadically failing to recognize hosts it seems. I am going to re install FM on some of the machines and then download updates- see if that does anything...*sigh*...looks like a long night.

-Raz

Thought I would post an update-

after screwing around a bit, managed to improve performance to only failing to load all 22 files 20% of the time. Still not great, but my clients were happy as it was a vast improvement over before. I still cannot figure out why the guests fail to recognize the hosted files on occassion. It follows no discernible patttern. One thing I did discover was that it would crash 1 of 3 times when opening a certian file. I tried recovering the file and importing the data to a clone, but still did not help. Then I moved that file to the end of the startup script (was opening 4th, now it is the 22nd to open), and that seemed to solve everything. Would be curious if anyone has some insight on why A). it may have been causing the crashes, and ???. Why moving the order would help.

-Raz

This topic is 7600 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.