Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Searching Dates WITHOUT the year????

This topic is 8654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I am trying to do the seemingly simple task of creating a script that will search customer files at the beginning of the day and display a list of customers who are celebrating a birthday on that day. Filemaker doesn't seem to like wildcard characters of any sort when doing a find function in a date field.

I have tried the today whatever/today whatever/ yadda yadda yadda stuff, but can't seem to figure out a way to negate the year.

Anyone have any simple suggestions on how to find month-date-"Any year"???

Thanks!

P.S. why can't claris make filemaker a bit more versatile? You can't format a phone number without a 3rd party plug in or 90 lines of code! I have vented...you may continue with your day LOL

1. Create a calculated birthday field:

Month(BirthDay) & " " & Day(BirthDay). Set is to give a Text result.

If the birthdate is 8/29/2000 it will yield 8 29.

2. Then your find script would go into find mode and in the calculated birthday field use the Script Step "Insert Calculated Result"(FMP5: different name in FMP4) using Month(Status(CurrentDate)) & " " & Day(Status(CurrentDate)) as the calculation.

3. Perform find and it will find all records whose Birthday field has the same month and day.

I too, share your frustration with Filemakers lack of funtionality in certain areas. Goodluck.

[This message has been edited by geod (edited August 29, 2000).]

This topic is 8654 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.