Server Maintenance This Week. ×

This topic is 8614 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have my portal within my solution. From the portal i only want certain information imported into my fax. Total of 3 fields. I have tried a few ways of doing this using copy and paste. The other way was creating new file and using another portal within the first database, selecting fields from database and coping into other portal, however when doing this my problem was that if i was using line 3 of the portal when coping information it would not copy information into the other portal unless i was coping from the first line of the portal and in order. I only need to copy certain lines of the main portal.

This is a very hard one to explain. Please, please help.

Regards,

Martin

quote:

Originally posted by partsgb.martinw:

I have my portal within my solution. From the portal i only want certain information imported into my fax. Total of 3 fields. I have tried a few ways of doing this using copy and paste. The other way was creating new file and using another portal within the first database, selecting fields from database and coping into other portal, however when doing this my problem was that if i was using line 3 of the portal when coping information it would not copy information into the other portal unless i was coping from the first line of the portal and in order. I only need to copy certain lines of the main portal.

This is a very hard one to explain. Please, please help.

Regards,

Martin

I think you need to go a bit slower on this one. Are the three fields all in the same portal line? Do you only need to get the data from a single portal line, or from all the portal lines? Where does the data need to go? Is it in the file that has the portal, or is it in the file the portal is into, or is it into a different file entirely?

Chuck

quote:

Originally posted by Chuck:

I think you need to go a bit slower on this one. Are the three fields all in the same portal line? Do you only need to get the data from a single portal line, or from all the portal lines? Where does the data need to go? Is it in the file that has the portal, or is it in the file the portal is into, or is it into a different file entirely?

Chuck

Hi Chuck,

Within the portal line there are three fields, but of many portal line. From these fields i would like to somehow copy and paste these into a repeated field or make another portal to which it would copy to.

If i set a repeated field up, my problem is when i select another portal line and fields how do i then tell it to goto the next available repeated field without deleting the one i have selected before that.

( IE )

In Portal Line there are three fields

Part number

Qty

Reason

Would like to copy these fields into either repeating field which would be Part Number, Qty, Reason. This would have a repeating field of 10 or 12. The only other way i can think of is by making another portal ( another file ) in which i can copy data into, but if i do this it doesn't seem to do what i want it to. SEE first attachment

Hope this gives you a little help..

Martin

quote:

Originally posted by partsgb.martinw:

Hi Chuck,

Within the portal line there are three fields, but of many portal line. From these fields i would like to somehow copy and paste these into a repeated field or make another portal to which it would copy to.

If i set a repeated field up, my problem is when i select another portal line and fields how do i then tell it to goto the next available repeated field without deleting the one i have selected before that.

( IE )

In Portal Line there are three fields

Part number

Qty

Reason

Would like to copy these fields into either repeating field which would be Part Number, Qty, Reason. This would have a repeating field of 10 or 12. The only other way i can think of is by making another portal ( another file ) in which i can copy data into, but if i do this it doesn't seem to do what i want it to. SEE first attachment

Hope this gives you a little help..

Martin

OK, first just let me say that it's almost never a good idea to use repeating fields anymore. They are mostly still around to ensure compatibility with FileMaker 2 systems.

But, having said that, you can do what you want. I've not done it myself before, but I've seen the technique in some files on databasepros.com. If you go there and search for "repeating" in the resources area, you'll find some great files.

What I think it involves is looping through the repetitions in the field, checking to see if there is any data in it, and if not, inserting the data you want. It'll be a long script, since you're doing this with three fields, but it'll get the job done.

Chuck

This topic is 8614 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.