Related Value Lists

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

Situation:

I have a value list with 5 countries

(United Kingdom Germany France Denmark Switzerland)

When I select the appropriate country, ie Germany, I want only the cities in Germany to appear in the cities Field (check box formatted)

Does this make sense? Is it possible to dynamicaly bring up the Germany City Value List?

Any help for a new user would be appreciated.

Regards,

Chris

If you're using FMP5, then the ability to have a menu show only related data is built into the software.

First you need a relationship that will have related cities when the country is set. This could be an extra file (or one you already have) that has records for each city, with the country the city is in.

The file you want to have the menu in needs to have a country field, and a relationship needs to be created between the two with the country field of both files as the match field.

Then in the file you want to have the menu in, create a value list called Cities. Choose "Use values from field:" and specify as your file the file with the cities. Click on "Only related values" and choose the relationship you created. Then click on the Cities field of that file.

If you're not using FMP5, but are using either 3 or 4, then you need a workaround technique. There are many to choose from. Check out www.databasepros.com for a bunch of references. Search for hierarchal menus.

Chuck

This topic is 8599 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.