2 interesting problems

This topic is 7223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

i have a problem in which i need to calculate when five working DATES from any given DATE is. I have a field that is a date ordered field. And i need a due date field to equal five working dates after the date ordered. I haven't had a chance to mess with this too much, but sounds like it would be a wierd calculation (or script, if needed).

Also another problem i have a variety of databases that will need job numbers, problem is, the job numbers will not be specific to each database, rather the job number must be unique across all the databases, i need this to be done in a serial number type fasion. what i mean by that is that they need to be uniform. The letter "I" followed by 6 digits. I thought of a seperate JobNumber database, but i don't know how to relate correctly . . . . hmm, any ideas.

Jeremy

The dates calculated from one date is an easy problem. How to relate your files depends upon a detailed knowledge of your databases.

The first question:

If your first field is OrderDate (date) then you could have:

NextDate (calculation, date) =

OrderDate + 7

This would give you a date equal to the order date plus one week. The other dates would be defined similarly, assuming they are just offsets from the initial date.

For the second question, I need to know a LOT more about your files or you need to seek out a consultant for some help. -bd

[This message has been edited by LiveOak (edited October 30, 2000).]

well i understand the date thing, but the problem is that it's working days. So saturday and sunday can't be counted. So if someone ordered on thursday, the due date wouldn't be until thursday ( i guess this is your 7 day thing). I guess i should've thought my question through a little more because it will vary some. I might need a calculation for 3 working days or 7 working days. This is where i would maybe see the problem . . .? i don't know, maybe it is a lot easier than i am making it.

Jeremy

quote:

Originally posted by yafreax:

well i understand the date thing, but the problem is that it's working days. So saturday and sunday can't be counted. So if someone ordered on thursday, the due date wouldn't be until thursday ( i guess this is your 7 day thing). I guess i should've thought my question through a little more because it will vary some. I might need a calculation for 3 working days or 7 working days. This is where i would maybe see the problem . . .? i don't know, maybe it is a lot easier than i am making it.

Jeremy

I actually came across this myself today. Check out www.databasepros.com and do a search for "work day" and you'll find a calculation that does what you need.

Chuck

• 4 weeks later...

For your second problem, if I understand it correctly, I think you need to create one separate file to hold job numbers. Set up a job number field in it as auto-enter serial number etc., and probably a field to identify which database the job number is assigned to. Then when you need a new job number, execute a script in the job number file that creates a new record and assigns it to the appropriate database. You can then copy/paste the job number back into the original database.

• 3 years later...

This topic is 7223 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.