Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Can't get reports to group

This topic is 8514 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I have a report that I inherited to group employee birthdays by month. The subsummary section of the report uses the birth month (calculated from the date of birth) as the "sort by" criterion. The name of the month is supposed to be displayed, followed by the list of people with birthdays in that month and the actual date to be celebrated.

Problem is that the subsummary never shows up. Nor does the report make any attempt to order by birthday. I have to sort the list by birth month in order to get it to sort, but the headings never show.

I don't know what I'm missing.

A couple of things come to mind:

Make sure the subsummary and sort are based upon the same field. If one is by month name and the other by month (number) it won't work. You must sort the records, the report format doesn't automatically do this for you. Also, the report will only display correctly in Preview mode, not in Browse. -bd

• Newbies

Your comment about the sort checks out with what I thought needed to be done. I also checked out the report in preview mode, and the headings were there as you said they would.

Is it possible to group by more than one subsummary? What folks really want is sorting by office, then by department, then by month. So far, I haven't seen a way to do this.

quote:

Originally posted by kwstx:

Is it possible to group by more than one subsummary? What folks really want is sorting by office, then by department, then by month. So far, I haven't seen a way to do this.

Of course you can do this! You simply setup sub-summary parts by Office, then Dept, then Month, etc. Then make sure to sort by that same pattern and all of your totals will group correctly.

------------------

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Kurt Knippel

Consultant

Database Resources

mailto:[email protected]

http://www.database-resources.com

=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

This topic is 8514 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.