Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Filemaker hanging all the time?!?! Help

liltbrockie

This topic is 7482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi we are running FM Server 5.5 and FM 6 accross a few networked win2000 PC's

The problem i have is this, whenever i open files from the server i get a 10-20 second delay halfway though loading the file ie half the interface will load then it will hang then about 20 seconds later the rest of its there and working fine. Its just when im changing between files i get this hang and its really annoying! It only does it on 2 PC's out of about 15.... I dont know if its worth noting but if i open up FM6 on the server it does it there as well so it may not be a network problem? any ideas???

>> are you opening files locally with fm6 while they are hosted via fm server??

if you open a filemaker file with FM6 locally (without using Host...) and this file is alredy open (and served) by filemaker sever, the file gets currupted.

(Filemaker display the message: this file was not closed properly. Filemaker will now perform consistency check)

File corruption may lead to any kind of malfunctioning including having filemaker hanging all the time.

If this is not your case I would suggest to check network options on the clients.

Copy the databases onto another machine, and open them locally on that machine with FMP. If the hanging behavior persists, then the files are corrupted. Remember to deleted those files after you've run the test so nobody on the network accesses them by mistake.

If the hanging behavior is not present in this test, then the problem is probably the interference from Terminal Services. The FileMaker Server Best Practices white paper is explicit regarding this: FileMaker Server must be the only running app on its machine. Anything else that runs on that machine will run interference on FMS, and cause all manner of erroneous behavior

-Stanley

This topic is 7482 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.