Server Maintenance This Week. ×

WEB COMPANION CANNOT PASS THROUGH ADSL MODEM

pvivacqua

This topic is 7249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi:

Assuming that you have the web companion and sharing configured properly and the file is open, putting the IP address of the PC in the browser should bring it up. Or you can just type "localhost."

I have never seen a modem with a configuration page (but I have never had ADSL). Make sure that you are putting in the right address. If you have Windows, get a command prompt and type "ipconfig." it will give you the pc's address at that moment.

If it doesn't come up, then you will have to dig in the manual and start the setup from the beginning.

• 7 months later...

I believe that you have to have a Static IP address for anyone to find you on the net. I also have an ADSL modem (with the added complexity of a router) and was told that in order for anyone outside my LAN to access Web Companion via the IP address, the ISP has to give you a static IP address (there are other methods of getting Static IP addresses but I don

• Newbies

I also have ADSL with a fixed external IP address, the modem/router provided by the ISP will route all external requests to one internal LAN addres, this is my server LAN address.

From my LAN I cannot access the Server by applying the external IP address, but I have to use the internal LAN address instead.

But it works alright.

Asynchronus DSL should not make a difference in serving; it is just slower to serve than to download on ADSL (a LOT slower, like 1/10 your download speed). If you have a static IP address, that's great. A dynamic IP that changes every time you establish a connection will still work fine, it's just a pain to keep telling folks what your IP address is. There are services that can track that for you if you want, but it's still not as good as having a fixed IP. With a fixed IP address, you can even register a domain name (whatever.com, $10-$30 USD/year) and have the domain point to your server.

You can also check your IP address by visiting http://www.whatismyipaddress.com. That would be the IP you would give to folks to visit your site. If you have a local network and router, you would have to configure the router to redirect web traffic (usually port 80) to your local server's IP address.

--ST

This topic is 7249 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.