Error on sending email using CDML

Bob Murata

This topic is 7025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

This is my last attempt to find an answer before I give up. I'm trying to get a test page up and running that will have FM Pro (not server) send an email. I'm copying and pasting the sample text in the CDML reference. When I click on the "Send Message" button and then check the Error.log I get the error message: "ERROR: -101. Error occurred while sending email." No email is ever received. I check the -MailHost and -MailTo values and they are valid. Any clue what I could be doing wrong? Could I have the MailFormat file in the wrong directory? What directory should it be in if I'm using the Web Companion to publish the db?

Thanks in advance.

Bob

• 1 year later...

Howdy! The CDML -mail functions work but if I remember correctly, they were kinda particular. I had much better luck retyping instead of using copy/paste. Debugging these could be a pain, though, because it's hard to tell when to lable a message "lost in cyberspace" or if it's just taking a long time to arrive. I began testing with a local SMTP server which also had POP accounts so that delivery would be local and would only take 1-2 seconds. I used the long address [email protected] so that there would be no delays and would not have to go out into the internet to come back again.

If you really get stuck, I'll try to dig up some old files for you with working code for you to download. But the CDML -mail tags do work. Of course, your mail server may also be the problem. When you send mail from FileMaker, you are doing so without logging in to your account. Some mail servers reject "anonymous" mail as SPAM. Other servers require authentication (user login) before they will send. Either of the latter will be hard to verify unless you manage the mail server or can ask the person who does.

Good luck!

--ST

This topic is 7025 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.