Retrieving script content as text

This topic is 7399 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I searched for an answer in this forum but haven't found it (except for a suggestion from Laretta to print to a print to Windows generic text/only print driver which I don't know how to do).

Can anybody tell me if I can retrieve the contents of a script in a field as text.

I need to be able to search in my scripts and I'm sure there must be a solution that doesn't involve developer or analyzer.

Poor me bought analyzer without realising I needed developer 6 (grrr..). So I can't use it.

Buying the previous version of analyzer that works without developer or buying developer 6 is too much for my budget right now.

So I'm looking for an alternative.

Thankyou for reading and eventually answering my question.

Michele:

I don't know what platform you're on, but on the Mac (in OS X) you can print to a .pdf file, so you could print all your scripts to a PDF, then extract the text from there. I've done it a few times, for the purposes of archiving...

Perhaps there's a way to acheive the same print-to-file in Windows?

-Stanley

There is a print utility called Print2Pict (Shareware), that will allow you to print to Text, Pict, Tiff, etc.. You can select the text program such as BBEdit as the format too. Print2Pict came package with one of my Analyzer packages, but it is available at www.fmfiles.com. I know that works with OS 9.2 and older, I'm not sure about OSX, as I don't have it. However,

Here is the URL:

http://www.fmfiles.com/dev12.html

HTH

Lee

Lee:

I'd forgotten about Print2Pict, as I've been on OS X for a while now. You're right, that would do the job fine, if Michele is on the Mac.

-Stanley

Thankyou for your suggestions Stanley and Lee.

I've tried to install the virtual printer on my system but I can't select it in the chooser...

Print2Pict works fine! Thx.

If anybody has other suggestions feel free to keep posting them.

This topic is 7399 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.