Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Calculating All Data in Repeating Field Entries

This topic is 7418 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hi,

I have created a calculation repeating field which calculates the content of two repeating fields data entries .eg.

Repeating field

User Field Bingo ------- Password Field 1234

User Field Banjo ------- Password Field 5555

User Field JohnJo ------- Password Field 4444

-------

RepeatingBothCalculationField = "User: " & User Field & " " & "Password: " & Password Field

returns

User: Bingo Password: 1234

User: Banjo Password: 5555

User: JohnJo Password: 4444

-------

Then I want to then create a field that compiles the text for the ACCOUNT. eg.

Calculation Field = "Hi," & "your user names and passwords for your account " & ACCOUNT & "are listed below" & RepeatingBothCalculationField

But the calculation only returns the first field entry in the repeating field. I want to display all the repeating field entries.

Any ideas...?

Bob

-------

Bob,

We're about to get into the "repeating fields vs. related files" thing. If you have a separate file for user names and passwords related back to the main file by a unique field such as the id you give to each new user, (or whatever will allow you to relate the main file to the user name and password file such as a calculation field which is a concatenation of first and last names)then you can show the information you are looking for either to just the logged inuser by relating name to name, or show all the usernames and passwords in a portal. Showing all would be done by relating the files by a constant (a field in the main file which always has a constant vlaue like "1" related to a field in the password file with the same constant value).

MainFile

Fields: FirstName, LastName, record ID, title, Constant, WholeName=LastName, &', " FirstName

PasswordFile

Fields: WholeName, Constant, UserName, Password

Relating constant to constant will show all records in a portal.

Relating WholeName to WholeName will show only the related record in the portal.

I believe this approach allows you control over the creation and change of passwords, and a much better control over showing them to users.

This topic is 7418 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.