Server Maintenance This Week. ×

server opening file error

This topic is 7387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

its a windows 2000 server.

ok this is what i found out. i have a databse with a relational databse for the progress reports. first i changed both names but there was a broblem because the back button on the relational didnt work anymore. renaming the relational db first the the primary fixed that.

but i still cannot open the file with server. i also tried using developer and user 5.5 to open the file with server.

i just created a new daatabase from a template with a few blank records in it. i tried to open it to the server and i get the same message.

i need to probably reinstall developer and not send it to the server thru the network but actually burn a disc and save it to the server that way.

First of all, when you copy FMP databases make sure they are closed. On Macs the Finder will give a warning that the file is in use; Windows does not give a warning, it'll let you copy the file but it will have some level of corruption. The best, most recommended way to copy FMP files is using the Save a Copy As... command.

If it's a relational solution then simply copying and renaming files will probably break internal script links and relationships. The best bet is to use the FileMaker Developer Tool to rename files. It updates all the internal links. If you don;t have developer tool, then you'll have to run all scripts and open all relationships in all files to manually update the internal links to the renamed files. It's a real time waster.

I ran into this same kind of problem and it turned out that I was hitting the limit I set for # of files that could be opened on the server. I bumped up the # of files that can be opened on the server & restarted the service. It then worked like it should.

Check this, it may be your problem also.

John

This topic is 7387 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.