need to change IP Guest limit with server 5.5

This topic is 7351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

Hello,

I am using FM Server 5.5 to share my databases, however everyone in my company has access to the web companion. As far as I [color:"green"] knew there wasn't a limit on that. But the Prefereces say that there is a 10 ip guest limit. How do I change that so everyone, more than 10 people in a company of 50, can access the web companion? .....need.......help.....

Hello Kate:

If each user has a copy of FM, they can access the database using the hosts dialog. This way they don't have to access it using the Web companion. If the remote users are accessing this database over the web, there is a 10 ip guest limit in a 12 hour period. In order to get over this guest limit, you need FileMaker Unlimited. And that ain't really cheap!

Sorry!

Ken

Howdy, Kate! I think I remember reading somewhere in the posts that you can use other technologies (I know this is vague... sorry) to serve your FileMaker data such that Web Companion requests go through a single IP address (presumably the server itself) but although it works, doing so is against the FMP,inc. user license or something unless you have Unlimited, so Ken's right... you need to get Unlimited or use FileMaker 4 which was released without the IP restriction.

--ST

Yeah, we were overjoyed when FM4 came out w/web publishing but we were in shock when FM5 came out w/IP restrictions. FM does let you limit access to specific IP addressses if you like, though, so if your company uses static IP addresses (unlikely, though, eh?) and you want to make sure 10 specific people have access all the tiime, I think you can configure it that way. Also, if any of the 50 employees happen to have FileMaker, they can access your db via the HOSTS../OPEN REMOTE... option and they rest can use the web. Maybe a combo will work... --ST

Yep, but you can't blame FileMaker for wanting to make money. If they removed the IP restriction they would loose a lot of license sales as many developers would implement intranets with FileMaker as opposed to FileMaker client/server systems. By introducing FM Unlimited they allow you to build an intranet while still making some money (albeit a smaller amount, as an intranet based on FMU can server hundreds or even thousands of users for the mere cost of one or two FMU licenses, which is much less than the cost of a couple hundred FileMaker licenses).

This topic is 7351 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.