calculating results of 2 summaries?

This topic is 7340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to calculate the results of 2 summary fields?

In any given found set, I need to multiply the sum of all numbers in one field by the sum of the numbers in a second field and then divide the result by the the result of the first number.

A = sum of field XYZ

B = sum of field ABC

(A) (:

---------

(A)

The easy part is getting the sum, simply use a summary field to total the field in a found set, how do I then plug that number in to a calculation so I can automate the process and have it display in a report? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much in advance,

Steve

<<To do the entire found set, use the summary field for the break field as well>>

I understand the Getsummary portion of your reply, thank you, but I do not understand what you mean about the "break field"

thanks again for your help.

Steve

The GetSummary funcion takes two parameters

GetSummary(summary field, break field)

Summary Field is the summary field you wish to put into a calculation. Break field is the field by which the records of sorted. FM Help goes into more detail, but it's kind of like a subsummary. Set your break field then, when the records are sorted by that field, the summary will summarize records for which that field is the same. Using the same field (the summary field) for both parameters will summarize the entire found set.

Jeff

Hi Jeff,

This doesn't seem to be working right. Any suggestions as to what I might be doing wrong. Below are the field names and the calculation I have written.

Number of pieces = number of pieces in an embroidery order (x)

Stitch count = number of stitches in an embroidery design (Y)

I NEED TO SOLVE FOR (X) (Y) / X = Z

With X and Y being the total numbers found (summarized) in any given set of records.

Summary Field = Total of "Number of Pieces"

Summary Field = Total of "Number of Stitches"

Calculation Field = GetSummary(Total Number of Pieces , Total Number of Pieces) * GetSummary( Total Number of Stitches, Total Number of Stitches) / GetSummary(Total Number of Pieces,Number of Pieces)

Layout = sub summary by total number of pieces (trailing)

Sorting by number of pieces.

I think I am missing something basic here, maybe even a layout or sorting issue. Any help would very, very much be appreciated. I can do this calculation manually but it is very cumbersome and would love to find a way to automate it.

It might seem like a basic computation but it is a critical number to production planning. Stitch Count in a design determines how long an order will be on an embroidery machine.

Te number of pieces is also critical to how much time it will take to complete a job.

My shop has more than 37,000 embroidery designs on file, of those designs our average stitch count is about 7,000 stitches. A 7,000 stitch logo takes about 15 minutes to run on an embroidery machine. However, a 20,000 stitch design takes a little more than an hour. Therefore, it doesn't matter if our "average" stitch count is 7,000, what really matters is what is the mix of order size and stitch count. The stitch mix equation above let's me compute this and plan production accordingly.

For example if I have:

1,000 pieces @ 7,000 stitches

and

5,000 pieces @ 20,000 stitches

I have an average stitch count of 13,500. So without knowing the "stitch mix" results I would plan for "run times" of of about 40 minutes / by the number of runs I have to do to complete the jobs.

However after computing a stitch mix of 17,833. I am shown that I need to plan for an additional 12 to 15 minutes to complete a "run", a huge and significant number to my planning strategies.

I realize no one probably cares about all of this detail, but thanks for letting me think it all out!

Any help would be very much appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

This topic is 7340 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.