Server Maintenance This Week. ×

All fields don't show up in new table layout

This topic is 7368 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm trying to make a table layout that shows all of the data I've entered from a form, but the table only shows about one-third of the fields that I've created (maybe around 35 out of the 100 or so in total). Is there a limit to how many fields a table can display? When I try to export the data, which is my goal in the end, I get data exported from more fields than are displayed, maybe 50 or so, but still not all of my fields. I realize that's a problem for the Import/Export board, but it's all related. I'd really appreciate any insight into this problem. Thanks!

Brian

Thanks for your help - I think I've figured it out. I was using table view simply because I preferred it in this instance. I think the problem was that in some fields there was no data, which then meant the fields weren't showing up in the table view or in the export. Thanks again for your time.

Brian

The 'limitation' you've encountered with table view is not an inherent limit but relates, as I think Ken was suggesting, to the layout width limits. You will find that if you maye the columns narrower then more fields will fit.

This has no bearing on the ability to export. Ie field contents may be exported regardless of whether they appear on the current layout. Sounds like you've come to the same conclusion.

There aren't too many cases when it's really useful to be able to view more than a couple of dozen columns of data in a single view. If you really need to do this, then I'd commend Lee's advice to you - consider using a list view. Or better still, break it down into several layouts so that users can review the data in manageable segements. That's what databases are good at - if you're going to see vast amounts of data in single flat tables you might almost as well be using a spreadsheet program. wink.gif

This topic is 7368 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.