Server Maintenance This Week. ×

How to create variables for summary calculations

Kevin B

This topic is 7364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

FM Pros:

I am an FM newby and I have a problem related to reporting on a group that represent a fraction of all records, while still included summary info from the total of all records.

My report shows a fraction of all inventory records, but on each sub-summary line needs to include information summarized from the total.

Specifically, I am showing transactions within a date range, and totaling weight shipped for those transaction within that date range, thus the sub-summary provides the net weight shipped in/out during the specified period.

Now I need to have the total for all of the transactions up through the detail date range (a previous balance) as well as a total of all transactions thus providing three lines on the subsummary: Previous Balance (Weight available as of the beginning of the detail range), In/Out (Weight shipped in or out within the detail date range) and Total (Weight currently available, which is the total of the weight field for all records).

I understand the process of showing all records and using a script to loop through and do the calculations. What I am not clear on is how to create the appropriate variables to store all of these values, since I assume that I will need to keep some type of array to store the individual calculations for each subsummary band on the report. I don't know in advance how many subsummary sections there will be on the report. Can someone help illuminate?

Thanks in advance!

Kevin

One generic way of handling situations like this is to use "Self-Join" relationships.

To access all fields using a self-join regardless of the found set, make a relationship between a global # with true and a # field with true (I set true to auto-enter 1), I'll call it Foo.True. Get the grand total of SomeNumber using the calc: Sum(Foo.True::SomeNumber). This works regardless of the Found Set.

Using the same technique, you can define subsets of the data using other relationships.

This topic is 7364 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.