Server Maintenance This Week. ×

[OT] Tunes that get into your head...

This topic is 7332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I listened to Miles Davis' Kind of Blue CD earlier in the week and cannot get the song "All Blue" out of my head. Cannonball's alto sax solo has been bouncing around in there for like three days now. That and the piano solo that follows. And Coltrane's tenor sax...

Not even Bruebeck's Take Five at "realistic sound levels" has been able to get it out. wink.gif

Any suggestions?

Vaughan:

The song in your head syndrome is like the hiccups, I think. You've got to scare it away with something totally different. I don't think you can solve a jazz song with another jazz song, especially if they're both instrumentals. I'd say either try something with an amazing singer (say, Louis Armstrong's "St James' Infirmary" or some mid-career Ella Fitzgerald) or hit another genre, like Johnny Cash's "Folsom Prison Blues" or Glenn Gould's mindblowing Goldberg Variations.

-Stanley

btw, now I've got "St James' Infirmary" going through my head...

Glad I could be of help. However, I saw the words "St. James' Infirmary" at the end of my post, when I went to read yours, and now I've got that in my head again...

-Stanley

"Glenn Gould's mindblowing Goldberg Variations"

Never heard of that. Is it rock, jazz, classical?

Always on the prowl for good music!

It's classical. Glenn Gould was an eccentric Canadian pianist who became famous for his recordings of J.S. Bach. The Goldberg Variations was probably his most famous recording. If you like J.S. Bach, then Glenn Gould recordings are a must have.

While I'm on the subject of pushing Canadian artists, I'll also mention Oscar Peterson and his classic 'Night Train' album (jazz).

I love piano music from just about every genre, so I'll also mention Michael Kaeshammer and his 'Blue Keys' CD. He plays boogie/blues piano, and does a version of Tico Tico that will knock you out of your chair.

And, all of Joshua Rifkin's Scott Joplin recordings. He's about the only pianist that doesn't try to set a speed record playing Joplin's music.

Vaughan:

I find that the Gould recording is especially useful when doing extremely obtuse relational design, as it is essentially Bach's weirdest mathematical musical experiment, played solo by the weirdest of pianists. It caroms around in the background and helps me keep focused.

Also, it has been a visciously cold winter in New York City, and listening to that record makes me think of spring.

-Stanley

Stanley, I like Joplin's music for the same reason. It has has a lot of mathematical underpinnings as well. There are quite a few similarities between Joplin and Bach, although the music police will probably arrest me for saying that.

Vaughn->

Listen to some bubble-gum or bad disco. That will overwrite all good music in your head and you'll find yourself chanting:

"Sugar, da da da dah, Ah Honey Honey, da da da dah, you are my candy girl...)

Or watch MTV for 1/2 hour...

Then listen to some good music to refill your brain. Or go for a drive with some of your favorite CDs and play them LOUD. My favorite genres are old rock and Chicago blues, both extemely amenable to being on the road.

Sam

A friend of mine swears by "Shoop Shoop Diddy Wop". Says she uses it to clear ANY song out of her head, and somehow it never sticks instead.

Shoop Shoop Diddy Wop Cumma Cumma Wang Dang

Well the Shoop Shoop stands for the mood you're in

And the Diddy Wop means let the fun begin....

eeuwgh. crazy.gif

• 2 weeks later...

Bob's safe, but I'm getting worried: I'm just around the corner!

Which song BTW Wendy? I look at your pic and think of the song that goes "... he can't fly but I'm tellin' you he can run the pants off a kangaroo."

Definately an Aussie thing. wink.gif

And speaking of avian questions: "How many seas must a white dove sail, before she can sleep in the sand?"

But my biggest question in life is: "Who put the ram in the rama lama Ding Dong?"

BTW more OT: what do you Aussies think of the movie "Kangaroo Jack"?

Vaughan -

the song you brought up. I'm the bird that suddenly appears!

CyborgSam -

this Aussie tries not to think of that movie. Never want to see it. Looked awful from the trailers, and the critics all said as much. Go with an Aussie film made by Aussies instead. grin.gif

cheers,

Wendy

Yeah... something cultural... like The Adventures of Bazza MacKenzie, or one of the Alvin Purple movies. Both are from the golden era (error) of Australian film, the 1970s.

Rabbit Proof Fence was considered a great movie, even though the subject was uncomfortable. To be honest I never saw it though.

If you want to see some interesting Aussie movies, see The Disk, The Nugget, The Castle, The Big Steal... no, not all Aussie films begin with the definite article. wink.gif

The Castle in particular is a favourite of my kids. A very gentle satire on working class Australia. "Tell 'em they're dreaming!"

"Rabbit Proof Fence" was indeed a great film. Recommended.

"Lantana" was one of the best in recent years. Thoroughly recommended.

I could also mention "Gallipoli", "Strictly Ballroom", "Muriel's Wedding" [no definite article in any of these titles!] but the latter had a particularly Australian sense of humour that others may not appreciate.

( and Vaughan means "The Dish" not "The Disk", I think )

just how far OT can we go with this thread....??

cheers,

Wendy

Yes yes, The Dish. I can also recommend Whale Rider which strictly speaking is from New Zealand, but that never stopped us claiming Split Enz, Phar Lap, Sam Neil et al.

We have moved seamlessly from music to movies. Grand innit.

Gallipoli was a great movie.

A couple of good series that were filmed in Australia, but I don't know if they're "Australian", were on PBS, HBO, or Showtime years ago. I think one was called "Philadelphia", about a woman who ran a paddleboat. The other was about a Jewish family that ran a hotel?

Maybe this board needs what another one I'm on has: a "Watercooler", a place where any topic is open for discussion.

This has become our "watercooler" thread....

"Philadelphia" sounds like a series that was called "All the Rivers Run" here. Definitely an Aussie series. Sigrid Thornton's lead character was called Philadelphia IIRC. Made in the 80s & set in the 1800s ?

The one about the Jewish family doesn't ring any bells, but has got me intrigued. More clues?

cheers,

Wendy

This topic is 7332 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.