Help with conditional value list

Peake

This topic is 7352 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

• Newbies

I desperately need some help with this one...

I am building main file called "Customer Selections" that will contain all the selections of a particular homebuyer for their new home. I have another file named "Options Pricing" that contains all options and retail pricing for everything that is NOT flooring. Each record has fields for: Trade, plan number, code number, option name, description, retail price, whole sale price, and number of total units ordered.

My original thought was that when I needed to break down the flooring seIections, could get "Customer Selections" to look up only the records with the trade "flooring", then "pop up list" only the flooring items that correlate to the plan number, and then based on the option name selected, display the retail price. I am failing at that notion. My second try was to build a third file that contained all the aforementioned fields for only the flooring records. I still can't figure out how to get it to work. I have tried to use the option to "use only related fields", but because it is so complex, I'm not getting the third and forth fields to show up and more importantly am I not able to conditionally get the records that relate to the plan number on "Customer Selections".

I can't do a portal because I can't have the previous records change the retail pricing and I don't yet know how to write scripts. As you can tell by my rambling I am completely baffled by this and really new at FM. I am using 5.5 and I'm on a Mac. Any help will be much appreciated!!!

Thanks in advance!

Carrie

Hi Carrie,

Welcome to these Forums.

I'm not sure I understood your portal "limitations", but here is attached a test file offered a while back that awesomly shows how you can build "multikeys" in order to have dynamic filter in a portal.

If you need more about this, please have a look at the sample section for a sample from Goran Djukic, (Djgogi is his Username) called "automatically create Multikey".

I think the attachment os also from one of Dj's numerous epiphany BTW

MkeyPortal.zip

• Newbies

Thanks for responding so quickly. However, I can't read the attachment it turned into gobbly gook when I opened it - probably a mac thing.

Regarding portals - it is my understanding that when you need previous records to retain their looked up information, while allowing new records to look up based on the most recent data from another file, you needed to use a value list ILO a portal because portals will change all records when you update the file you are pulling the information from. Is this correct?

Carrie

Hi,

For the download problem, please have a look to the "Download instructions" for this Forum in the Sample section.

For the rest, I'm a bit confused with your settings and your use of repeating fields.

I have the feeling this is the problem, but I'd need to read back this thread to understand exactly what are your intents.

This topic is 7352 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.