Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Navigating between layouts

sawindel

This topic is 7354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I have a database that holds our LEAN manufacturing data.

It is often necessary to view the data in list format - with the operator having the option to look at an expanded version of any record by going to a common "data" layout.

What I am wondering is, how do I make a button that will return the user to the previous layout, regardless of what layout that might have been?

I have tried a couple of different options but have not been able to get it to work?

Any help would be appreciated.

Scott

I think that I figured this out for myself. But was wondering if there are other (aka easier) ways to do it.

I created a global field (g_layoutnumber), and each time I have a script navigate to a particular layout, I have it set g_layoutnumber to the status(currentlayoutnumber).

I then created a script that returns to the layout called out by the g_layoutnubmer.

Took some time to add the script step into all of my report scripts, but it seems to be working.

Any thoughts

Scott

Scott:

If they are only ever going to look at the detailed data and then return to the list, you could make the script that takes them to the detailed layout pause after going to that layout, then put a button on the layout "return to list" with the attached command "resume script" - the next (and final) step in your script would be "Go to layout(original layout)"...

This is no good if there are any other functions, that can go after this - but it's handy for quick look-up type of jumps like this.

-Stanley

You can expand on Scott's method by treating the field g_layoutnumber as a stack. That way you can back up more than a single layout (like a web browser). When the user clicks a go to layout button, execute this script:

Go To Layout [Whatever_Layout]

Set Field [g_layoutnumber, Status(currentLayoutNumber) & "

And now, Scott, for the clincher.

I use this script all the time (it's called 'Protect')

Perform Subscript (Save Layout)

Set User Abort Off

Toggle Status Area Hide (Lock)

Every (well, almost) script starts with Perform Script (Protect)

Every script ends with 'Return Layout' == Bob's 'Back' script.

Warning.

Just recently, I got myself into real trouble by not making sure that every 'Protect' was matched with a 'Return Layout'. Something to watch. It just takes one simple 'Return to Layout (Original Layout)' to really screw things up.

This topic is 7354 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.