Trouble with repeating fields

This topic is 7252 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Hi everybody !

I have troubles with repeating fields.

1. How is it possible to know how many repetitions of a repeating fiels are used ?

2. I would like to insert a value into the Xth repetition of a repeating field. How is that possible ?

3. I also want to know if a specific value is present in the repetitions of a repeating fields. How can I do that ?

Thanks a lot !!!

If you're having all these problems with repeating fields, then the best advice is to ditch them. Filemaker went relational with version 3, and that was quite some time ago.

I would like some more precisions concerning question 2 ;o)

I'd like to insert a value in the Xth repetition of a repeating field, but the other value of that field are not enterred by a lookup. Is there a way to do it without defining a lookup. By the way, I didn't find the Sample section (sorry blush.gif/)

Thanks a lot

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Windows XP

Ok, I found the sample section and the example of Ernst.

My problem is that the repeating field is again set by a lookup.

Isn't it another way :

blush.gif

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Windows XP

Ok. Even if the value I want to insert depends on the data I entered in the repetitions of the field ? In fact, I enter all the values in the field and then I would like to auto-enter a value at the end of the repetitions, depending on the current values of the repetitions. I'm afraid that a lookup will crush and replace all the values of the field. Tell me if I'm wrong blush.gif

• 3 months later...

As a way of distilling or reporting on data that is already properly normalized, repeats can be extremely useful and I'm quite aware of that. That doesn't seem to be the case here, and most people who ask about repeats haven't mastered the important basic relational concepts. Repeats have become even more versatile in FM7 and that's good if properly understood.

This topic is 7252 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.