Showing records on default home page.

This topic is 7338 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Is it possible to populate a "default.htm" page with records from the database without appending Filemaker parameters to the URL? I am trying to set up default.htm to carry 5 of the latest news articles from a database called news.fp5. I have added an inline action into the file but it doesn't seem to be working "[FMP-InlineAction: -db=news.fp5, -lay=main, -sortfield=date, -sortorder=descending, -max=5, -findall][/FMP-InlineAction]" Maybe I'm putting the inline action in the wrong spot in the file? Or maybe I can't do this?

I'm just looking for to keep default.htm intact without having to redirect to a -find page or adding Filemaker parameters to the URL.

Thanks,

Mark Durgee

Hi, mdurg! Unfortunately, the Inline can only follow a previous FMP action so you're probably out of luck there. Garry's suggestions are probably best but you can also try to hide the URL using frames or masking (but I don't like it to that myself). Of course, this is (or was) the CDML forum, but you might be able to use some other technology to pull data from the database. I think I remember someone (Leb i Sol?) posting an article about "Clean URLs" on evolt.org somewhere that was an interesting read if you serve w/Apache (sorry, don't remember the thread).

If you find a good solution, please post it but I have not seen/heard of anyone being successful at not having stringy-URLs if that's what you're avoiding. I just use POST as much as possible. Hope it works out...

--ST

Mariano Peterson said:

I know you're not using these technologies, but I just wanted to point out that you can do this without any work arounds (like meta refreshes, redirects, hidden frames, etc) if you were using a normal scripting language like Lasso, PHP, ASP, etc.

Yep, and that was one of the 1st things to really irk me about CDML when I found that out and found myself staring at my source code instead of the data I expected... and the list of CDML shortcomings kept growing and growing, too. Still, if an innertube keeps you afloat before you have time to build a boat... (sigh) Oh, well, you're right, Mariano, you're right... I've now put the PHP manual in my favorites bar but thought I heard my semicolon key groan when I did. LOL!

--ST

Version: v5.x

Platform: Mac OS X Jaguar

This topic is 7338 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.