Server Maintenance This Week. ×

Questions about FMP7, please clarify if possible

This topic is 7348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

I'm unclear on a couple of things after reading a bunch of the information about FMP7 on FMI's web site:

1) Is CDML dead? It seems like it isn't mentioned and XML, XSLT, XHTML, etc is mentioned a lot. Is this just in relation to "instant web publishing" and I just missed the section on "custom web publishing"?

2) Will Lasso work with FMP7?

3) Do we need to spend $2500 on FMP Server Advance to do web implementations (instead of $1000 on FMU)? And at that, does it really only support 100 remote users? Or, is this all in relation to hosting directly into a DB via TCP/IP?

4) I haven't read all the security briefs yet, but is record level security in there?

5) Is there a "Find Unique" criteria in 7? In SQL it's really nice to find only the unique iterations of data in a column, it would be great to do that in FMP.

I think that's it for now. I can't wait to start using it. Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Cael.

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

"Is there a "Find Unique" criteria in 7?"

Well, how would that work? And would the way YOU want it to work be the same as the way I want it to work? It the correct unique value the first one? Last one?

Hi Cael,

1) Is CDML dead? It seems like it isn't mentioned and XML, XSLT, XHTML, etc is mentioned a lot. Is this just in relation to "instant web publishing" and I just missed the section on "custom web publishing"?

CDML custom web publishing will be unsupported with FileMaker 7. The product strategy is to support popular industry standards and get away from a proprietary markup. FileMaker Server Advanced will provide data via : XML, XML with Server-side transformation (XSLT), ODBC, JDBC, and Instant Web Publishing (IWP).

2) Will Lasso work with FMP7?

Check with Blueworld.

3) Do we need to spend $2500 on FMP Server Advance to do web implementations (instead of $1000 on FMU)?

FileMaker Server Advanced will be required for web publishing, with one exception: Pro and Developer 7 will support up to 5 concurrent user sessions of IWP.

FileMaker Server Advanced is also required for remote connectivity via ODBC/JDBC.

And at that, does it really only support 100 remote users? Or, is this all in relation to hosting directly into a DB via TCP/IP?

The 100 user limit is for session-based web publishing only. IWP requires sessions, Custom Web Publishing (XML/XSLT) does not require sessions, but may use them. Custom Web Publishing without sessions has no arbitrary limit.

For hosting via TCP/IP to Pro/Developer clients, the limit is 250 concurrent users.

4) I haven't read all the security briefs yet, but is record level security in there?

Yes. And much much more. Much.

5) Is there a "Find Unique" criteria in 7? In SQL it's really nice to find only the unique iterations of data in a column, it would be great to do that in FMP.

I think you're probably looking for value index for a column. There are some fairly simpe techniques for retrieving that kind of list. Let us know more about the problem you're solving.

HTH,

Andrew

Thanks for the info! You've probably saved me hours of reading and digging.

Regarding Find Unique ... In the little bit I've dabbled in SQL queries, there isa very easy command that finds and returns all unique iterations inside a column.

So for example ... If you find unique inside a big database, under a field holding the 2 digit abbreviation for State (e.g. - CA, OH, FL, etc.), the result set would contain 1 each of the 50 abbreviations (assuming you only have US states in there and no weird deviations).

This is easy to get at with FileMaker's Sub Summary reports, I know that. But I haven't been able to figure out how to easily get this kind of information for Lasso/CDML based web deployments where I don't want to run any scripts in the back end database.

So specifically, it would be for providing a list to the web of unique iterations of data in a certain field, across all records. Then a user could click on one of those to see all records that match that iteration (e.g. all people in CA by performing a search on the DB for CA). Then, they could drill down to detail on a single CA record.

Does this make sense? Am I missing something really obvious?

Your help is appreciated!

Cael.

If I understand you correctly (1000 records assigned to 10 of the states, what are the 10 states used in the 1000 records) I create a value list for that column and use [FMP-ValueList] with CDML

This topic is 7348 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.