New version... The Great Equalizer?

This topic is 7370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Just wondering if anybody else was feeling a little inadequate now that a realatively new release has come out.

Over the past 10 years or so I've built up a level of confidence and started to hold myself out as a self-proclaimed expert. I learned all the tricks and work arounds and now overnight, the value of my intelectual knowledge has dropped since I'm starting over again. The more I use it, the more I realize I don't know about the new version. In this sense, it's as if a new verison ends up knocking us all back down to the beginner level again.

Oh well, it was fun learning the first time, so I suppose I'll enjoy learning it again. I just need to build up my confidence.

I agree with everything said. So far I've only been able to find one 2 hour slot between midnight and 2AM to play with 7. My initial impression is that the folks at FileMaker did a fantistic job. I'm excited about getting going.

I also think the decision makers at FileMaker should be commended for taking such a bold step. There must have been a lot of agonizing over the decision to tear out the old foundation and rebuild.

My gut says that after the dust settles, there won't be a lot of people wishing they were back on v6.

Version: Developer v6

Platform: Windows XP

I have the same midight schedule to learn this new stuff. I love the new relational capabilites to relate more than one file away.

I have run into some of the syntax changes in scripts. I can't just type in things like TimeToText(Status(currentTime)) like I used to, now I actually have to think about the new verbage... GetAsText(Get(currentTime))

I also discovered that you can't duplicate tables. I used to use my trusty pre-made templates so that some of the common fields woudln't have to be recerated. I even called tech support, but this is a no-go.

This topic is 7370 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.