Commit via Script Issues

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.

Enclosed is a simple db with people & their favorite foods. I want Commit to work a way I think it can't...

The layout has "Save record changes automatically" checked so I don't use FM7's confirmation dialog box. There are two buttons on the layout: Cancel and Save. Cancel's script does Revert Record/Request [No dialog], Save's script does Commit Record/Request [No dialog], both return to the list layout. If fields are modified on the layout and either button is pressed BEFORE normal comittment, the buttons work as expected. A click outside of all fields, or pressing return, commits the record normally and it can't be reverted.

If the layout is not set to "Save record changes automatically", FM's confirmation dialog works fine, but: a script can't be executed from the dialog. So the user can commit, but they're still on the layout and need to perform a second step to navigate.

So:

1) Is there a way to uncheck "Save record changes automatically" AND use your own script/dialog?

2) Is there any way to disable enter's commit? Then a global field that covers the whole layout could handle clicks outside fields. Assume that the user cannot navigate manually to other records/layouts.

TIA,

Sam

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

Commit.zip

I think the commit/save button is really intended for web use. The behavior you desire is the way the function seems to work with IWP. It would be nice if the revert function would take you back, but again this seems to work with IWP but not in FM itself.

If records are not set to save automatically--an option set in layout view--you can revert all changes since the last save. This includes related records in a portal that remain uncommitted. Note that revert may delete the record in some cases.

See the Tech Briefs;

http://www.filemaker.com/upgrade/techbriefs.html

Steven

Sure enough. Still, there are two different models for data-entry. Your average FM user gets use to the live data in the FM fields, but there are inevitable problems with unintentionally changed data (e.g. you think you are in find mode and start typing in a live field).

I don't like the dialog asking to save the data. It strikes me as a work around. It would be nice if you could put a enter key responsive save/commit/submit button on each layout, select a preference and have your database behave like a web page. (Yet another FM user asking for that which isn't).

OK, I think I obfuscated my request... tongue.gif

I want to do my own equivalent of FileMaker's dialog so I can revert or commit myself. And, I want this scriptable. Physically, I want my own buttons on the layout with scripts attached.

One thing I really don't like about this new commit/revert model is that clicking outside of all fields is a committing action, so it brings up the dialog. Very unintuitive, IMHO.

Is this clearer?

Version: v7.x

Platform: Mac OS X Panther

This topic is 7336 days old. Please don't post here. Open a new topic instead.